Event Permits

Planning on holding an event? This page provides information about necessary permits that might be required for your event, depending on what you are planning, and provides information to help in your event planning. 

  • Site Plan: For most events, a detailed site plan will be required showing the proposed event area, including the location of event amenities such as parking, traffic control, emergency access, tent/canopy placement, dumpster locations, vendor parking locations, temporary fencing/barriers, location of port-a-potties and inflatables. 
  • Insurance: For events taking place on city property (including sidewalks, streets, alleys, and parks), the City of Glenwood Springs requires insurance coverage naming the City of Glenwood Springs as additionally insured in the amount of $1 million per event.
  • Deadlines: Please pay special attention to deadlines. For example, the Special Event Liquor License must be submitted at least 60 days in advance of the event.
  1. Jennifer Ooton

    Assistant City Manager, Economic & Community Dev
    Phone: 970-384-6404

  2. Karstin Moser

    Parks & Recreation Administrator
    Phone: 970-384-6305

Special Event Liquor Permit

An event at which alcohol will be served or sold requires a special event liquor permit. The applicant must be a nonprofit organization registered with the Colorado Secretary of State for purposes of social, fraternal, patriotic, political or athletic activities; a regularly chartered brand, lodge, or chapter of a national organization or society; a regularly established religious or philanthropic institution; or a political candidate or committee.

There are two types of Special Event Liquor Licenses in Glenwood Springs: Minor Events (250 people or fewer and take place on only one day) and Major Events (251 people or more). Applicants will submit this fully completed application for a Special Events Permit to the City Clerk at least 60 days prior to the event.

City Parks  

If you are planning to hold an event in a City Park, you will need to fill out the Special Event Park Permit Application. The application must be completed and sent in at least 3 months in advance. 

Parks that can host events include: Veltus, Sayre, Two Rivers, Glenwood, Sopris Fields and Centennial. Events smaller than 75 people must reserve park or park shelter space online through the online registration/booking portal at www.glenwoodrec.comVendors as part of an event will also need a temporary sales and use permit. 
Fourth of July - Image of a singer and guitar


Events using the trails for runs through or around Glenwood Springs must fill out a Special Event Permit from the Parks and Recreation Department.

Right Of Way Permit

Will your event require a street, alley or sidewalk closure? Per the Glenwood Springs Municipal Code, it is unlawful for any person to obstruct a public street or public sidewalk without first obtaining a permit from Engineering.  To close a traffic lane or entire street, place a dumpster on the street, create a temporary pedestrian walkway, or store material on a street/alley, a Right-of-Way permit must be obtained. Minimum review time for the Right-of-Way Permit is 5 Business Days. Right of Way Permit


Will there be vendors at the event? If so, vendors will need to obtain a sales tax/business license through the Finance Department at glenwoodsprings.munirevs.com. Temporary vendors or event vendors, must pay $25 and also provide a $100 deposit. Food vendors also need to obtain health department approval.  This is handled by Garfield County Health Department (located in Rifle). Vendors also need a temporary sales and use permit. 
Temporary Sales and Uses
For outdoor sales and uses taking place on private property, a Temporary Sales and Uses/Special Community Event Application is required from the Community Development Department. This application should be filled out for produce stands, peddlers, solicitors, sidewalk sales, and short-term displaying of goods for retail sale, such as vendors. Special Events should fill out the section related to events: Temporary Sales and Use/Special Events Permit (Application starts on Page 5)
A Parks and Recreation Department Temporary Sale and Use permit is required for outdoor retail or wholesales sales on a short-term basis within the following City of Glenwood Springs Parks: Axtell, Centennial, Glenwood Park, Gregory, Sayre, Two Rivers, Veltus or White Water Park. This permit should be obtained for produce stands, peddlers, solicitors, short-term displaying of goods for retail sale and vending carts.

Tents and Canopies
Are any tents or canopies being used for this event? A Temporary Membrane Structure, Tent and Canopy permit might be required. If any are larger than a 10x10 pop-up or if the tent will be near open flames or cooking, please contact City Fire Department 970-384-6433.